Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Eating up the Hill: Green Curry Tempeh Bowl, Basmati Rice

Excited by the prospect of the green curry, I overlooked the word tempeh. That was my mistake.

Had I taken the time to Google, I would have learned that tempeh "is a traditional soy product originating from Indonesia. It is made by a natural culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form." Now, as discussed previously I'm on board with the occasional meatless Monday. Load me up on the veggies. But I draw the line at anything tofu or soy. We all have our limits.


At this point though, I didn't know, and being one to enjoy a good curry it was off to the cafeteria I went.

The serving size was adequate, the rice cooked properly and providing a food platform for the curry goodness. Edamame, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, yellow & red peppers, sure. I'd have passed on the potatoes, and substituted the cauliflower for broccoli...maybe add some mushrooms...but that's OK.

But what are these odd formed cubes? Maybe processed chicken, I thought, on my way to a table. Would be kind of cheap to use chicken loaf, but if they pass the savings on to me, why not. Once seated though and on biting in, nope, not chicken. Weird texture. Not particularly flavourful. To Google, and...oh, that explains it. Sad.

I can only blame myself. It was right there in the name. Perhaps I thought it was a reference to Tempe, Arizona, and some sort of tex-mex curry, I don't know. Anyway, if you like soy, I guess it's worth having. But I don't, so I won't again.

Recommend this Post on Progressive Bloggers

No comments: